Enjoy game in the summer – try this light and healthy pheasant kebab recipe from Wild and Game
Pheasant kebabs with couscous salad – serves 2
For the kebabs:
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 1 pack Wild and Game garlic and herb pheasant breasts
- 1 small aubergine, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium onion, quartered and split into layers
- Half a red pepper or yellow, cut into large chunks
- Half a green pepper, cut into large chunks
- 12 medium mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the couscous salad:
- 1 standard sized block of feta, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- Half a red or yellow pepper, diced
- Half a green pepper, diced
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 300g couscous
- A big handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- A big handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus several glugs for roasting the vegetables
- 1 tsp Marigold stock powder (optional)
For the salad
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees centigrade/gas mark 7
- Toss the sweet potato in olive oil and generously season it in salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Toss the other vegetables in oil, season them and add them to the roasting tray. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous in a bowl and sprinkle in the dry Marigold stock if using (for extra flavour). Pout on enough boiling water to cover the couscous with a millimetre or two to spare, stir briskly, cover and leave for 5 to 10 minutes until it has soaked up the water and puffed up. Tip it into a large dish and fluff and separate it with a fork.
- When the vegetables are cooked, stir them into the couscous. Add the herbs and feta. Mix the 2 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp olive oil, add a couple of pinches of salt and stir this through
- the salad.
For the kebabs
- Cut each pheasant breast into 2-3 pieces.
- Thread a mix of the breast and the vegetables onto each skewer.
- Generously season and brush with olive oil
- Grill on a barbecue or under a medium grill for about
- 20-30 minutes, until nicely browned. Turn, season and
- add oil regularly.
- Serve with the salad.