Love grouse? Here’s a new way to enjoy it from Wild and Game
Grouse with roasted vegetables, blue cheese and warm truffle honey dressing – Serves two as a main course or three as a starter
- 1 pack of Wild and Game grouse breast fillets (about 6 fillets in total)
- 12 rashers of pancetta
- 2 medium aubergines, diced
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- 5 or 6 sprigs of thyme
- Plenty of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 40g blue cheese
- 20g pine nuts, toasted
- A knob of butter
- For the warm dressing:
- 2 tbsp truffle honey
- 4 tbsp dry sherry
- A scant tsp smooth Dijon mustard
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees centigrade/gas mark 7
- Place all the vegetables, including the garlic and thyme, on a baking tray and pour on a generous amount of olive oil, tossing to make sure they are all coated. Add salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 25 minutes, until soft and lightly browned.
- About 15 minutes before the vegetables are ready, heat a glug of olive oil and a knob of butter in a frying pan.
- Wrap each grouse breast in pancetta – you’ll need 2 strips to fully wrap each breast.
- Fry in the pan over a high heat for about 2-3 minutes each side until browned.
- Turn the heat down and cook gently for another 4 minutes.
- Remove the grouse from the pan and set aside to rest. Pour out any surplus juices and fat so that the bottom of the pan is covered by about 2mm of liquid.
- Turn down the heat and add the dressing ingredients. Take care as the sherry can sizzle and steam.
- Stir and heat for a minute until fully combined.
- Once the vegetables are ready, arrange these on the plates with the grouse. Crumble over the cheese and sprinkle on the pine nuts.
- Drizzle the grouse and the vegetables with the dressing. You won’t need much as it is very sweet!
Leave a Reply